Random Memory about Mercury

So as I was browsing YouTube, a video popped up about a professor’s death due to mercury poisoning after she accidentally spilled two drops at the back of her latex gloves (search about Karen Wetterhahn). Now I wonder if there’s a different “mercury” in mercury thermometers. If not, why am I still alive? Maybe the dosage?

Please, kids, do not try this at home.

See, when I was a kid, I broke a mercury thermometer at home. Tiny silver spheres that looked like pendulum balls spilled on the floor. As a curious kid who loved cute things, that including tiny silver spheres, I touched one. I could vividly remember that it bounced on my point finger, like how gelatine bounces when I touch it.

I called my mom and told her about the incident. I remember that she told me not to touch it, so I did not tell her that I did (sorry, Ma). I forgot about the rest, except that I swept everything using a walis tambo and dumped it on a trash can. Thinking about it now, I could only question myself what the hell was I thinking that time (of course, I was a kid, and this is a lesson why you, grade three students, must listen to your science teachers).

To all knowledgeable people out there, does mercury really bounce? What are those tiny silver spheres? Were those really mercury? Does my body need to absorb them before something severe happens to my brain? So is this why I am still alive?

Asking for myself. Thanks.

One thought on “Random Memory about Mercury

What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.